Sunday, January 17, 2010

Instrument Inspirations

Instrumental Inspiration #1:

My dad has always said, "You stand on the shoulders of those who came before you." In the spirit of what my father has always told me and I firmly believe, I have always been a huge fan of the concept of the remix. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of terrible remixes out there, mostly because the secondary artist ends up relying on the underlying material to carry there half thought out idea and it ends up becoming dead in its tracks.

Instrumental Inspiration #2:

It may sound cliche, but the fact is music really is all around us. As far as the electromagnetic spectrum is concerned, consider frequency bands within the 88MHz - 108 MHz range, which are packed with music, good and bad, as well as many more forms of communication. What if one could tap into these bands and use this spectral information to feed a performance? I envision using this information to power various frequency bands, where most of the original content would remain jumbled and mostly ambiguous, but the addition of the content in a new, redefined way could be extremely powerful.

Conclusion:

If the design and executed of this instrument goes well, I feel it could be very successful in communicating the central theme of this project, namely if I could collect the sounds of many voices through the airwaves into a cohesive, single and powerful voice, this sonification of a significantly broad spectrum narrowed into a single, well-defined and bound stream would amplify the unifying theory of "anti-expectation."

No comments:

Post a Comment